How to Write eCommerce Product Descriptions? 5 Best Examples
An engaging and persuasive product description plays a vital role in increasing customer engagement and conversion rates for an eCommerce store. Writing eCommerce product descriptions will become much easier with the seven straightforward steps from Teeinblue Product Personalizer. Holding in hand these steps and the core elements that make a good description now!
What does Product Description Mean in eCommerce?
A product description is a form of marketing copy that describes product information, including features, benefits, advantages, etc. It often displays on the left, right, or under the product images.
Your creation is unlimited when writing eCommerce product descriptions. You are free to choose a voice that best fits your product and target audience. There are multiple ways to present it, such as a sentence, a short paragraph, bullets, or infographics.
An example of a description for an eCommerce product
With online stores, the product description is as important as a sales consultant in a physical store. Providing good product demonstrations helps to increase trust and credibility. It can also push the product rank in search results, making it reach more consumers. As a result, your conversion rate will be likely higher.
What Makes Engaging eCommerce Product Descriptions?
You may catch dozens of rules for online descriptions on many blogs. What are the core criteria that make a good description? As a new or experienced writer, you should ensure that your copy meets the following standards:
- Unique content: It helps to boost brand identity, improve your search engine rankings, increase audience engagement, and avoid legal issues. Writing based on your thinking is the best way to create fresh and 100% unique content.
- Correct spelling and grammar: It improves the readability of your text, making the content clear and enjoyable. On the other hand, poor grammar can make the audience uncomfortable.
- Short and scannable: Brief and to-the-point descriptions are more likely to receive twice as much attention as longer paragraphs.
- Logical and compelling: Logical writing gives your customer persuasive reasons to buy products. Try to use precise and concise words, straightforward sentences, and well-formed paragraphs.
- Attractive to target customers: Focusing on the pain points of your target audience can appeal to their emotions. Let them know how your products solve their problems and choose an appropriate voice.
Keep the line stretch not too narrow or too large
How to Write eCommerce Product Descriptions in 7 Steps
Here are seven steps for you to learn how to write an ecommerce product description that sell.
Step 1: Get to Understand Your Target Customers
Understanding your target audience enables you to form a template that coincides with their interests and specific expectation.
Here is some crucial information about target customers that you should gather:
- Demographics: age, gender, income, education level, occupation, etc.
- Psychographics: personality, values, interests, lifestyle, etc.
- Location: where they live, work, or spend their time.
- Pain points: problems or challenges they are facing that your product or service can solve.
- Buying behavior: how they research and make purchase decisions.
- Brand loyalty: how likely they are to remain loyal to your brand over time.
This step decides the effectiveness of your copies
It is much faster to get this information if you have a saved document at the market research stage. On the other hand, you can conduct surveys, check your competitors, study market research, use SEO tools to analyze their intent, etc.
Step 2: Gather All Product Information
Once you clearly understand your target customers, you can identify “What should I write for my product description?” It’s time to gather the product’s characteristics that meet your target audience needs.
Take a look at what customers often want to know about the most popular eCommerce products:
- T-shirts: material, quality, size, style, care instructions, brand reputation, price, etc.
- Mugs: material, capacity, duration, design, the possibility of personalized products, etc.
- Canvas pictures: size, weight, print technology, shipping, handling, etc.
- Phone cases: compatibility with the phone, material, printing quality, design, protection ability, accessibility to all the buttons, etc.
- Jewelry: material, design, duration, risk of skin irritation, price, caring service, certification, packaging, etc.
Note all features of your items and categorize them
Step 3: Create an eCommerce Product Description Template
Creating a format, template, or outline for product descriptions can help ensure that you don’t skip any important information. You can also use a template for many products, which brings consistency and brand identity to your online store.
Here is essential information in a template you can use:
- Title: A clear and concise title that accurately describes the product.
- Product brief: A summary of solutions that the product can offer.
- Key features: A list of the product's unique or standout features.
- Images: High-quality images of the product from various angles.
- Product benefits: Benefits that customers will receive when using your product. Use detailed information and any other relevant specifications to prove them.
- Brand information: A short introduction about the brand, including key message, reputation, and prestige.
Consider adding the advantages of your personalization features, customer services, price, shipping, etc. You can adjust the template as per your product and business goals.
A template for merchants who sell shoes
Step 4: Write Yourself or Use an eCommerce Product Description Generator
Now, it’s time to show your creativity. Let’s establish the tone (voice) that interests your target customer. It may be formal, optimistic, friendly, encouraging, humorous, curious, surprised, etc. It is best to keep your brand voice consistent on all marketing channels.
From your template, let’s create a persuasive and engaging description with the tips below:
- Add benefits of features to improve the product’s value and attract the target audience. Show them what problems the product can solve to make their life easier.
- Describe relevant information to educate customers by explaining how to custom a product, how it works, how to maintain it, etc.
- Convince with compelling evidence to surprise and trigger the desire to buy the product. Social statistics, facts, testimonials, or examples are the strongest proof.
- Attach rich media to enhance the visualization about the product and help customers to be more confident in their buying decision. High-quality images, a short demonstration video, and a chart are the most effective content.
- Make it scannable to help readers get the key information quickly. Save the checklist below to create easy-to-read eCommerce product descriptions!
|Headings and subheadings
|Organize the main points of your writing to help readers quickly scan the whole content.
|Break up long paragraphs when delivering the equal-meaning content.
|The ideal length is 20-25 words per sentence.
|Maximum length is 4 sentences.
|Make use of bold, italics, and underlining to emphasize important points.
|Images and infographics
|Break up blocks of text, support the content, and make the eyes comfortable.
|Use the active voice consistently to maintain a clear and action-oriented style.
|Write with simple, concise words; avoid jargon and technical terms.
As a non-professional copywriter, it may take you a lot of time to write a good description. By following the above checklist, you can create an easy-to-read writing with the most essential information.
Tips: For more engaging content, you can utilize AI eCommerce product description generator such as Chat GPT, Rytr, or Bard, etc.
Step 5: Optimize SEO Keywords to Your Writing
Product keywords make your products more accessible to search engines. After you finish writing the first version, the next step is looking for keywords and adding them naturally into your copy.
You can find the seed keywords by thinking about your product category and your niche. Then, let’s use a keyword research tool to get exact keywords. You may use one of the tools: Google Keyword Planner, Keyword Tool, Semrush, Ahrefs, etc.
For example, if you write a description for a “personalized mug for couples”, paste it on a tool, choose the target region, pick a language, and click search. Here are some recommendations: personalized coffee mugs for couples, personalized mugs for boyfriends, personalized mugs for girlfriend, personalized mugs for valentine's day, etc.
Step 6: Edit and Proofread eCommerce Product Descriptions
Don’t skip the editing and proofreading step. It helps to ensure that your copy meets all the criteria of a good description and there are no spelling or grammar errors; no confusing words, sentences, or paragraphs; and no other silly mistakes.
Ask friends or team members for better reviews
Don’t be upset if you cannot create an excellent product description on the first attempt. Let’s improve your skill gradually by testing different copies, reading more, and writing more.
Step 7: Publish Product Description for eCommerce Website
You’ve put great effort into writing a product description. It’s time to publish for your audience. Each eCommerce platform or website has a distinct area for you to post it.
You can directly write, edit, and publish your copies on the description page. However, some platforms may not have an easy-to-use interface. Therefore, many writers create it on other software such as Google Docs, Microsoft Word, etc. Then they will copy, paste, and format texts in the store administration workspace.
Tips: Remember to preview how your description on the storefront and do the necessary edition before publishing.
Best Shopify Product Description Examples
Here are a few Shopify product description examples that are well-written and compelling!
Locate the clothing product description examples on the left, under its images. Product personalization options are on the right
Use the dropdown buttons to show/hide information and shorten the description
An eCommerce product description best practice with uppercase, bolds, bullets, and icons
Writing eCommerce Product Descriptions with Powerful Tips
Make your eCommerce, especially print-on-demand product description, more engaging and powerful with the tips below:
- Know when to show, tell, and describe: Showing is when you want to create a scene or an image in the reader's mind. Telling is when you state the facts or stories. Or describing if you provide detailed information about a feature, setting, or manual.
- Tell touching stories: Stories can evoke emotions in the audience, making them take action quickly and invest more money. You can start by identifying the emotional connection between your product and the customer, such as how it solves a problem or improves the customer's life.
- Add FAQs: This part provides quick access to the most popular questions. It makes the description short and straightforward. The essential steps are identifying the 3 - 5 most common questions, then giving specific answers.
- Set goals and KPIs: An objective is necessary to measure and motivate you to write a product description. You can aim to increase the conversion rate, decrease cart abandonment, lower the return rate, or improve organic search rankings.
Take notice of adding product tags, too
For print-on-demand stores, besides product features, customers also want to know printing quality and technology, shipping time, return and refunds policy. Therefore, adding them to your print-on-demand product description is a plus.
In summary, a good eCommerce product description must provide helpful information while making it visually appealing, easy to read, and emotionally engaging. If you still wonder how to write eCommerce product descriptions or want to share your writing methods, don’t hesitate to discuss with Teeinblue Product Personalizer in the comment or our global community.
Tags:print on demand